When I have an alcohol beverage my heart beats a lot faster, is this a serious issue?

Could be! Your may have an allergy to alcohol, this could be genetic, your body does not metabolize the alcohol normally. Do you also get flushed? Many people who drink too much will notice their heart beating faster when they withdrawal or have a hangover. Some ethnicitys, such as asians, have a higher incidence of an intolerence to alcohol.
It can be. Alcohol can cause a number of conditions of rapid heartbeat, called tachyarrhythmias. The most common is supraventricular tachycardia or svt, and the next common is atrial fibrillation. If this happens every time you drink, i would suspect you are having a significant number of drinks. If so, it is to much for you and you need to cut down. If not, you may be inordinately sensitive. Talk to ur md.