Is it possible that a high tolerance for alcohol will cause prescription pain killers to not be very effective?

In brief: Yes.
There is a similarity in how the brain handles alcohol, tranquilizers, and pain medications; high tolerance to one is often associated with high tolerance for others.

In brief: Yes.
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. James Rotchford
Addiction Medicine
In brief: It depends
Tolerance to alcohol and opioids don't overlap.
I would wonder if you have something like sleep apnea, which made worse by alcohol, would contribute to the opioids not working as well. Also, alcohol can be toxic to the brain, & interfere ith sleep, all of which are not good for good pain management. Mixing opiods and pain pills dangerous. Time to get help stopping alcohol.

In brief: It depends
Dr. James Rotchford
Dr. James Rotchford
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine