If I have a very low tolerance to alcohol-does that mean I have a poorly functioning liver?

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine

In brief: No

Some people are inordinately affected by alcohol, just as some are affected by tranquillizers or other medicines.
Sometimes people who are very sensitive will look intoxicated after even a single drink, something called pathological intoxication. This sensitivity is from your brain and nervous system, nobody can explain it, and it is not likely anything to do with your liver.

In brief: No

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg

In brief: No.

The liver affects the length of time you stay drunk, not the amount you need to get drunk.

In brief: No.

Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine