If I drink alochol when I get depressed does that make me an alchoholic?

Dr. Bob Stewart
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Alcohol will add to

Depression, so it's not helpful.
Find better ways to deal with your depression (exercise, social interaction, engrossing activities, having meaningful goals, avoiding negative thinking). Using alcohol in ways that don't work, in amounts you can't control, or that cause other problems are warning signs of an alcohol problem. Don't get hung up on the term "alcoholic.".

In brief: Alcohol will add to

Depression, so it's not helpful.
Dr. Bob Stewart
Dr. Bob Stewart
Dr. Jeff Blixt
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Possibly

Using alcohol to alter your mood, to try and make your feel better can be a sign of a drinking problem. Though not everyone who has drank to feel better is an alcoholic.
It a matter of degree. If you don't have a history of excessive drinking and have been depressed for a little bit, and are drinking more to cope you may not be an alcoholic. You need to seek the help of a professional to see.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Jeff Blixt
Dr. Jeff Blixt