If I drink a lot, am I more susceptable to getting the flu?

Dr. Johnnie Strickland Jr

Alcohol is a sugar.
Sugars being acidic slow down enzymes systems throughtout the body including those responsible for the immune system and thereby make you more susceptibel to infections.

Alcohol is a sugar.
Dr. Johnnie Strickland Jr
Dr. Johnnie Strickland Jr
Dr. Karl Spector
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Yes, among others

Abusing alcohol for a long period of time has many serious consequences.
One of them, in fact, is the effect it has on a person's immune system. By lowering your immune system's ability to fight infections, you will be more susceptible to not only getting an infection like the flu, but the symptoms will be more severe and typically last longer than those people who don't drink. So...Stop!

In brief: Yes, among others

Dr. Karl Spector
Dr. Karl Spector
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine