If I am an alcoholic, will my baby become an alcoholic too?

In brief: Fetal Alcohol Synd.

I you are pregnant and you drink alcohol, so does the baby.
The issue is the effect of alcohol on a developing, growing baby and the lifelong consequences of this. The effects can cause as syndrome known as "fetal alcohol syndrome" components of this include; hearing and vision problems, mental retardation, growth problems, birth defects, trouble learning.. Please know there is help for you.

In brief: Fetal Alcohol Synd.

Dr. Josephine Ruiz-Healy
Dr. Josephine Ruiz-Healy

In brief: Maybe

If you drink during pregnancy the alcohol goes across and baby is affected too.
It breaks down to toxic byproducts and can damage babies brain, heart and other tissues. If you abstain during pregnancy, and resume after, baby will not be damaged but growing up with an alcoholic parent makes it possible the kid will accept this as normal behavior and do so as an adult.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Karl Spector
Addiction Medicine

In brief: It's up to you!

It's not clear how much genetics play in alcohol abuse but one thing is certain--children will copy and behave as their parents do.
If your child sees you abuse alcohol, it is much more likely that they will, too. They will see this as "normal" behavior. Obviously, you want your child to grow up in an environment that is safe, loving, supportive and filled with hope. Not filled with alcohol!

In brief: It's up to you!

Dr. Karl Spector
Dr. Karl Spector
Dr. Jonathan Jassey