Does alcohol exacerbate depression and anxiety?

Yes. Alcohol is a unique drug. It offers short term anxiety relief followed by depressed mood and often rebound anxiety.
Alcohol depression. When one faces their problems by taking a drink or some pills, it prevents the body from being able to handle the situation on it's own. It is reinforcing to one's reward and pleasure centers to learn that one's mental distresses can be managed with alcohol and/or drugs. That is one way folks become addicted. Learning to face one's problems head on and sober is the way to go.