Can you take the medications topamax (topiramate) and campral together?

Dr. Jeff Blixt
Addiction Medicine

These meds could be taken together, I am not aware if any studies have been done studying these meds together and if that increases rates of abstinance from alcohol.
But in theory they may complement each other. I will emphazie however that medications alone are rarely if ever enough to stop problem drinking but can be helpful if used with psycosocial support such as aa or counseling.

Dr. Jeff Blixt
Dr. Jeff Blixt
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine

Acamprosate has essentially no drug-drug interactions, and would not interfere with the metabolism of topirimate.
Since Campral is an Amino Acid which is not metabolized and is excreted unchanged, other drugs do not interfere with it either. Make sure, however, that the prescriber of each drug knows that you are on both of them. Also, use one pharmacy, so that their computer can pick up problems.

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg