Should I be concerned about blood in my stool?

Dr. Maritza Baez

Blood in your stool can come from inflammation in your intestines or stomach, hemorrhoids, or even cancer.
I recommend you see your doctor for an exam & possible testing. In the meantime, make sure you are drinking at least 5 cups of water a day and have at least 30 grams of fiber daily. You can get this with a fiber supplement or from fruits, vegetables, legumes and fiber enriched foods.

Dr. Maritza Baez
Dr. Maritza Baez
Dr. John Berryman

In brief: Blood in stool

Any blood in the stool can indicate a tumor in the lower colon, with the exception of bright red blood, which is more common with hemorrhoids.
Get a referral to a gastroenterologist for an exam and testing.

In brief: Blood in stool

Dr. John Berryman
Dr. John Berryman
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery