How can I stimulate my two to four month old child during playtime?

In brief: Couple suggestions

When awake, your baby may enjoy watching you work.
Simple things like radio or a bright colored mobile may keep baby occupied. A mirror placed nearby may give baby something special to watch for long periods. At this age, the noise of a rattle may be entertaining but baby cannot grasp and control it.

In brief: Couple suggestions

Dr. Bryan Levey

In brief: Lots of ways

Sing to him, dance with him, talk to him, read to him (yes, even at this age) and smile at him. Nothing is more stimulating than social interaction.
Realistically though, no one can interact with their baby the entire time they are awake; for those time when you need to do other things dr. Ferguson's suggestions are excellent.

In brief: Lots of ways

Dr. Bryan Levey
Dr. Bryan Levey