What are some safety precautions I should take for my newborn baby at home?

Dr. Irwin Berkowitz
In brief: Choking
Added to what dr. Ferguson mentioned is the danger of choking.
Once the baby is able to reach and grab for items make sure there are no parts that are small enough to choke on ie; buttons, wheels, eyes and magnets.

In brief: Choking
Dr. Irwin Berkowitz
Dr. Irwin Berkowitz
In brief: Be cautious
Your newborn can flip and fall from any table.
Place a hand on the baby if you turn away to get something. Consider changing your water heater setting to 120 as higher settings result in more scalding accidents. Review location of any toxic chemical or weapon and plan to move them to a child proof location.

In brief: Be cautious
Dr. Shontae Buffington