What are some safety precautions I should take for my newborn baby at home?

Dr. Irwin Berkowitz

In brief: Choking

Added to what dr. Ferguson mentioned is the danger of choking.
Once the baby is able to reach and grab for items make sure there are no parts that are small enough to choke on ie; buttons, wheels, eyes and magnets.

In brief: Choking

Dr. Irwin Berkowitz
Dr. Irwin Berkowitz

In brief: Be cautious

Your newborn can flip and fall from any table.
Place a hand on the baby if you turn away to get something. Consider changing your water heater setting to 120 as higher settings result in more scalding accidents. Review location of any toxic chemical or weapon and plan to move them to a child proof location.

In brief: Be cautious

Dr. Cindy Juster