What are some safety precautions I should take for my newborn baby when traveling by car?

Dr. Sarah Kohl
Travel Medicine

In brief: Approved car seat

Safe travel with your infant in a car begins with a properly installed, rear-facing approved car seat.
For longer rides you will need to plan for frequent stops to feed, move about, etc. You may want to shield your baby from direct sun light and bundle up if it is cold outside. Mirrors which attach to rear windows by suction make it easy for you to check on your baby using the rear view mirror.

In brief: Approved car seat

Dr. Sarah Kohl
Dr. Sarah Kohl

In brief: Safety seat

Babies first ride home should be in an approved safety seat properly installed in the vehicle.
Infants held in your arms can easily be ejected thru a windshield in a crash. All babies should ride facing the rear until they are at least two years of age.

In brief: Safety seat