How can I tell if my child has asthma?

Recurrent sxs... Asthma symptoms, which occur episodically, include coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath. During these episodes, the patient may be hypoxic so it is important that an emergent eval by a doctor be sought and an er visit may be necessary. Call 911 if the symptoms are severe. Between episodes, most patients are normal.
Clues or symptoms. By watching and listening for clues or symptoms you can tell if your child might have asthma. Another word for clues is symptoms. Asthma symptoms include: coughing, wheezing (a whistling sound heard when your child breathes in or out), shortness of breath, chest pains or tightness.