Is one injection of epinephrine enough to treat an allergic reaction?

Dr. Manav Singla
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Some need seconds

Some people may need a second injection of epinephrine, so always keep second Epipen handy or make sure you know how to use the second dose in your twinject.

In brief: Some need seconds

Dr. Manav Singla
Dr. Manav Singla
Dr. Monica Vasudev
The Epipen comes as a twin pack which is easy to administer.
Dr. Michael Zacharisen

In brief: Usually

About 25% of anaphylactic reactions will require a second dose of epi due to a dual or late phase reaction.
If the epi is given in a timely manner, the immediate reaction should improve. However, a second dose can be given 5-10 minutes later if necessary. In my allergy experience (19 years) i've rarely needed to give a second dose---anecdotal.

In brief: Usually

Dr. Michael Zacharisen
Dr. Michael Zacharisen
Dr. Marsha Davis