How does eczema relate to allergies or asthma?

A strong link. A mom told me in israel her son's eczema was referred to as skin asthma; a great way to emphasize that infantile eczema often precedes onset of asthma by 2-3 years. For every 3 kids seen for eczema 2 react to foods on skin/blood testing. Only 1 of 3 improves with elimination of some foods. They're never allergic to all the foods to which they react. Dust mites may be the primary culprit in the end.
Common etiology... Asthma and eczema can both be due to allergies. Once allergic triggers are known, avoidance as much as possible should be done.