170 heart rate while running to high? I am 26 years old. I turn 27 in one month. I just started running. Iam out of shape too.

Dr. John Garner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: No, but

As a 26 year old, heart rates of 200 are likely entirely within the realm of possibility for you.
That said, 170 is the highest you would want to see your hr when running. Shoot for 65-80% of your maximum hr when starting to minimize risk of injury and maximize improvements. See your doc for help in safely determining your true maximum heart rate, and avoid overuse running injuries.

In brief: No, but

Dr. Daniel Zanger
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Heart rate

All depends on how soon after exercise your hr reaches 170 .
If it goes to 170 after one minute yes you are out of shape.

In brief: Heart rate

Dr. Adam Smith