What is baroreptor failure & what questions should I ask docs caring for my elderly family member?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

In brief: BP control problem

Baroreceptors help our blood pressure remain stable when we change the position of our body.
When baroreceptors fail people often become dizzy when arising from lying or sitting positions. When talking to the physician it is important to ask if medications have side effects and if immunizations and preventive care procedures are up to date. I would also talk to them about advanced directives.

In brief: BP control problem

Dr. Kathy Robinson
Dr. Kathy Robinson
Dr. Andrew Kaplan
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: BP control problem

Sensors located in blood vessels may become dysfunctional, resulting in a lack of appropriate information regarding blood pressure to reach the brain.
Gravitational changes in blood pressure become exaggerated. This causes a significant lowering of blood pressure, which can result in dizziness or passing out. Medication and support stockings may be helpful in treating this condition.

In brief: BP control problem

Dr. Andrew Kaplan
Dr. Andrew Kaplan
Dr. Jack Hinkle