Will the doctor put me to sleep if I need a chest tube inserted?

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology
In brief: Depends
If this is an emergent need for a chest tube usually only local/topical medications are given.
If this is an elective placement of the chest tube occassionally IV medication can be given before the procedure. In good hands the placement should be only moderately uncomfortable.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Dr. Matt Malkin
Anesthesiology
In brief: Typically not
A chest tube is typically placed with copious amounts of local anesthetic injected on the skin and tissues.
You might be given some sedation. General anesthesia could be more dangerous in this instance due to the condition necessitating the chest tube, like tension pneumothorax, pleural effusion, heart failure, or severe pneumonia with empyema, etc.

In brief: Typically not
Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology