Will the doctor put me to sleep if I need a chest tube inserted?

Depends. If this is an emergent need for a chest tube usually only local/topical medications are given. If this is an elective placement of the chest tube occassionally IV medication can be given before the procedure. In good hands the placement should be only moderately uncomfortable.
Typically not. A chest tube is typically placed with copious amounts of local anesthetic injected on the skin and tissues. You might be given some sedation. General anesthesia could be more dangerous in this instance due to the condition necessitating the chest tube, like tension pneumothorax, pleural effusion, heart failure, or severe pneumonia with empyema, etc.