Why do people with brain injuries sleep more?

Dr. Carlo Hatem
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Brain controls

Sleep regulation is highly complex and involves multiple areas of the brain.
With brain injury there could be increased, decreased, or irregular sleep due to imbalance between brain chemicals. Depression might cause increased sleep. Certain medications administered can also cause sleepiness.

In brief: Brain controls

Dr. Carlo Hatem
Dr. Carlo Hatem
Dr. Philip Chao
Radiology

In brief: Well I think

They are more somnolent because they have an altered sense of awareness and sometimes they even do not respond to noxious stimuli if they are very somnolent.
It is usually dependent on the amount of injury. You should ask your doctors about this. Level of consciousness is very important to follow when you have a brain damaged patient.

In brief: Well I think

Dr. Philip Chao
Dr. Philip Chao
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery