Is it safe to take depakene (valproic acid) while pregnant or breastfeeding?

Dr. Idan Sharon
Neurology

In brief: Depakote

Depakene (valproic acid) or other forms of Depakote should be taken only if benefits outweighs risks to you and fetus.
Normally, i would not recommend it. I would see a neurologist; do not stop it abruptly.

In brief: Depakote

Dr. Idan Sharon
Dr. Idan Sharon
Dr. Padmavati Garvey

In brief: No

Can use while breastfeeding.
If you are on this medication then you probably have a seizure disorder or bipolar disease. There is a risk of congenital defects but some women need to stay on this type of medication or else their original problem may worsen which would also be detrimental to the baby. You should start taking 1 gram of Folic Acid a day before you get pregnant while on this.

In brief: No

Can use while breastfeeding.
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey