Is it safe to take cogentin (benztropine) while pregnant or breastfeeding?

Dr. R. Wayne Inzer

In brief: Caution

Cat c means animals studies have shown concern but no human studies or case reports exist.
I suspect this medication is very rarely used in OB pts or nursing moms so very few case reports would exist. The pt. Would need to discuss with her physcian and weigh risk to benefit.

In brief: Caution

Dr. R. Wayne Inzer
Dr. R. Wayne Inzer

In brief: Depends on situation

As a category c drug it causes some problems in animal studies during fetal development but none in existing human studies.
Continued use in pregnancy is based on the more benefit than risk assessment. It has the effect of reducing breast milk production if used during breast feeding as well as constipation. Again use is determined by risk benefit assessment.

In brief: Depends on situation