I've lost my sense of small after a concussion. Will my sense of smell ever return?

Dr. Mijail Serruya
Neurology
In brief: Maybe
Traumatic injury to the head may put tension on, and in some cases completely disrupt, the nerves that convey the sense of smell.
These nerves are uniquely vulnerable because they pass directly through a piece of bone called the cribiform plate. Depending on how injured the olfactory nerve is, the sense of smell may gradually return or may never return.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Mijail Serruya
Dr. Mijail Serruya
In brief: After injury NO
Complete loss of smell after head injury will not return, it will be permanent due to injury olfactory nerves, once damaged they do not regenerate loss of smell will be for ever.

In brief: After injury NO
Dr. Addagada Rao
Dr. Addagada Rao
Dr. Sarah Kohl
Travel Medicine
In brief: Maybe
Loss of sense of smell after a head injury may heal over time.
Often it takes anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months to come back. If your sense of smell doesn't return within 6 months it is unlikely to come back. Your ears nose and throat (ENT) specialist can help your with this problem.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Sarah Kohl
Dr. Sarah Kohl
Dr. Eric Weisman