Can I tell if I have a torn ligament in my shoulder after a motorcycle accident?

Dr. Jack Choueka
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: No

Unless the shoulder is dislocating out of the joint it is extremely difficult for a patient to diagnose their own ligament tear.
Continued pain difficulty with activities and feelings of an unstable or weak shoulder needs medical attention from an orthopedic surgeon.

In brief: No

Dr. Jack Choueka
Dr. Jack Choueka
Dr. James Bicos
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Not by yourself

There are many things to consider after an accident and how that relates to anything torn.
If you can't move your arm or it is popping in and out of place then something maybe torn. But there are other more subtle things that can also lead to a diagnosis. I would see a shoulder specialist.

In brief: Not by yourself

Dr. James Bicos
Dr. James Bicos
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine