When do I know that I need to take my baby in for a hernia operation?

Dr. Janet Meller
Surgery - Pediatric
In brief: At diagnosis
If your baby has truly been diagnosed with an inguinal hernia as opposed to an umbilical hernia or a hydrocele, then surgery should be performed.

In brief: At diagnosis
Dr. Janet Meller
Dr. Janet Meller
In brief: Age 5
Belly button or umbilical hernias are generally not repaired until the age of 5.
They can actually spontaneous close prior to age 5.

In brief: Age 5
Dr. Matthew Lublin
Dr. Matthew Lublin
Dr. George Chiang
Pediatrics - Urology
In brief: Symptom/age depends
It depends if the hernia has bowel in it or is simply fluid filled.
If there is bowel in it, it could get stuck in the hernia which would require emergency surgery. If there is just fluid (hydrocele), then one can wait until the child is 1 year before elective surgery.

In brief: Symptom/age depends
Dr. George Chiang
Dr. George Chiang
Dr. Stephen Kim
Surgery - Pediatric
In brief: Depends
Any hernia associated with complications (eg.
Incarceration, obstruction, pain, etc) should be repaired right away. Inguinal hernias should be repaired when diagnosed. Umbilical hernias in infants may close spontaneously. Generally, it should be repaired if not closed by age 2.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Stephen Kim
Dr. Stephen Kim
Dr. Jonathan Jassey