What is the recovery period for a child with cleft palate surgery?

Depends on repair. Cleft lip and palate may involve a wide range of associated conditions effecting the hard and soft palates as well as the dentition and auditory and speech musculature. Treatment may require more than one surgery and recovery may take more than one period. Typically within one year healing will be completed and speech therapy will be instituted.
A week or 2. Typically children who have undergone cleft palate repair will be in the hospital for a day or two while they "relearn" how to swallow and I can be sure they are eating/drinking enough. They go home on a soft diet (think pudding, jello, ice cream, baby food) for 2 weeks, then are typically released to eating what they want. Pain is really only a problem for the first 2-3 days.
A week +/- Usuallu a few dayus of post op pain, then just favoring the area for a week or two.