What is the procedure like to insert ear tubes?

Dr. Richard Strabbing
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Office procedure
95% of adults who receive ear tubes in my practice choose to have this done in the office.
Under a microscope the ear drum is anaesthetized with topical phenol, a microscopic incision placed, any fluid suctioned from the ear, and a tube placed in the incision. All this takes less than 5 minutes.

In brief: Office procedure
Dr. Richard Strabbing
Dr. Richard Strabbing
Dr. Troy Reyna
Surgery - Pediatric
In brief: Surgery
Usually light outpatient anesthesia.
Short procedure to assess eardrum, make small incision and place tube.

In brief: Surgery
Usually light outpatient anesthesia.
Dr. Troy Reyna
Dr. Troy Reyna
Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Simple
I do this in the clinic for adults with topical anesthesia (phenol).
It takes no more than 5 minutes. In children, they need to go to sleep but is just as simple and very quick. It involves making an incision in the ear drum under a microscope and placing a small tube which comes out on it's own in 6-12 months.

In brief: Simple
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Shontae Buffington