What is the procedure like to insert ear tubes?

Dr. Richard Strabbing
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Office procedure

95% of adults who receive ear tubes in my practice choose to have this done in the office.
Under a microscope the ear drum is anaesthetized with topical phenol, a microscopic incision placed, any fluid suctioned from the ear, and a tube placed in the incision. All this takes less than 5 minutes.

In brief: Office procedure

Dr. Richard Strabbing
Dr. Richard Strabbing
Dr. Troy Reyna
Surgery - Pediatric

In brief: Surgery

Usually light outpatient anesthesia.
Short procedure to assess eardrum, make small incision and place tube.

In brief: Surgery

Usually light outpatient anesthesia.
Dr. Troy Reyna
Dr. Troy Reyna
Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Simple

I do this in the clinic for adults with topical anesthesia (phenol).
It takes no more than 5 minutes. In children, they need to go to sleep but is just as simple and very quick. It involves making an incision in the ear drum under a microscope and placing a small tube which comes out on it's own in 6-12 months.

In brief: Simple

Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Cindy Juster