What happens during pregnancy that might cause gastrochesis in a baby?

Dr. Janet Meller
Surgery - Pediatric
In brief: Unknown
The cause of gastroschisis is unknown.

In brief: Unknown
The cause of gastroschisis is unknown.
Dr. Janet Meller
Dr. Janet Meller
In brief: Sporatic event
It may surprise you but we all go thru a stage in early embryonic development where our intestines are outside of our abdomen.
Gastroschesis is thought to represent a random event during pregnancy where the gut does not follow the signals and move into the abdomen by the 10th week. I know of no association with any maternal action, medication or illness that would trigger the event.

In brief: Sporatic event
Dr. Troy Reyna
Surgery - Pediatric
In brief: Not sure
Many theories abound.
The most common is that of a vascular accident or clotting of a vessel that feeds the tissues forming the abdominal wall. Without adequate blood supply the abdominal wall may be weak or not form at all.

In brief: Not sure
Many theories abound.
Dr. Troy Reyna
Dr. Troy Reyna
Dr. Jane Van Dis