Is it safe to wait a year before possibly having a surgery for an umbilical hernia?

Dr. Janet Meller
Surgery - Pediatric
In brief: Most likely
Unless there was a rare complication of the hernia getting stuck, there is no urgency to repair of an umbilical hernia.

In brief: Most likely
Dr. Janet Meller
Dr. Janet Meller
In brief: Kids seldom need rpr
Loose belly muscles help a developing baby by allowing easy blood flow thru the umbilical cord & into babies body.
After birth, that loosness may allow a transient umbilical hernia that will usually disappear when the belly muscles tighten, starting after baby learns to sit.By 2yo most uh have receded. I find girls more likely to need repair than boys ? Reason.I rarely refer for repair <2y.

In brief: Kids seldom need rpr
Dr. Troy Reyna
Surgery - Pediatric
This is especially true if the umbilical hernia is asymptomatic or if there are only mild symptoms.

Dr. Troy Reyna
Dr. Troy Reyna
In brief: Usually
Rarely al loop of small intestine can become trapped, causing pain & swelling in the area.
Kids will always fuss & let you know if this happends & that could require urgent surgery.If recognised early a warm bath may relax baby enough to softly push the bowel back into the belly, releaving the problem.If that happened i would schedule surgery soon.These can go away as baby develops tighter muscles.

In brief: Usually
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: Possibly
This depends on the size of the hernia.
If it is very small and not causing any symptoms, it is unlikely to lead to any urgent complications and can be carefully watched.

In brief: Possibly
This depends on the size of the hernia.
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Robert Dorsey
Wound care
In brief: Never know
Umbilical hernias generally have higher complication rates prior to surgery.
I wld get it fixed sooner rather than later.

In brief: Never know
Dr. Robert Dorsey
Dr. Robert Dorsey
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery