If my first child has a cleft palate what are the chances that my second child will as well?

Dr. Jeffrey Marsh
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Need family history

The risk of having a second child with a cleft palate (without a cleft lip) is very low unless there is a family history of cleft palate or vision problems or arthritis.
You should ask you child's cleft care team, or pediatrician, for a referral to a genetics counselor or a medical geneticist for recurrence information specific to your family.

In brief: Need family history

Dr. Jeffrey Marsh
Dr. Jeffrey Marsh
Dr. Jay Park

In brief: 3-4%

If the first child had cleft palate as an isolated finding, next sibling has 3-4% chance to develop same defect.

In brief: 3-4%

Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Jonathan Jassey