How much of an emergency is nec?

It is always serious. Necrotizing enterocolotis (nec) is an intestinal problem most common in premature infants. It can be fairly mild but is considered an infection and most be treated with intravenous antibiotics. It can also be extremely virulent and require emergency surgery. It can be life threatening in some patients.
Definite Emergency. Nec, or necrotizing enterocolitis, is always a medical emergency and can be rapidly fatal if untreated.
Absolutely emergency. Nec is an inflammation of the intestines in newborns both premature and full term. 80% respond to medical management if caught early. The other 20% may require emergency surgery to remove dead bowel and drain infection. It is a common cause of short bowel syndrome which leaves a patient with insufficient intestine to live and grow.