Does someone with a cleft palate sound different when they talk?

Hopefully not. If the muscles of the palate are properly repaired, the palate itself is long enough, and the muscles function correctly, speech in a child with a cleft palate should be normal. Approximately 20% of children with cleft palate will develop hypernasal speech which will need a second surgery to remedy.
Sometimes. The palate helps form the tone of our speech. If it is fore shortened or variable in flexibility it can affect the tone or quality of speech. Some times it gives it a more nasal quality.
Yes. With a cleft palate, the nasal cavity is directly connected with the oral cavity. When the person talks, it will sound like more sound than normal is coming from the nose (hypernasal speech).