Does a dent in the chest of my child mean that someone hit him really hard there?

Brian Fishman
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Not if always there

Pectus excavatum is the most common congenital deformity of the anterior chest wall, in which several ribs and the sternum grow abnormally.
It produces a caved-in or sunken appearance of the chest and can either be present at birth or not develop until puberty. The defect is usually cosmetic, but may cause cardiac or respiratory impairment if severe enough.

In brief: Not if always there

Brian Fishman
Brian Fishman
Answer assisted by Brian Fishman, Medical Student
Dr. Troy Reyna
Surgery - Pediatric

In brief: No

The dent or chest deformity is a congenital pectus excavatum or funnel chest.
If symptomatic or causes psychological issues may be repaired using a nuss procedure. Information is readily available on the web and youtube.

In brief: No

Dr. Troy Reyna
Dr. Troy Reyna
Dr. Janet Meller
Surgery - Pediatric

In brief: No

This probably represents a condition known as pectus excavatum.

In brief: No

Dr. Janet Meller
Dr. Janet Meller
Dr. Faisal Qureshi
Surgery - Pediatric

In brief: Generally not

I would have your pediatrician evaluate the chest to give you recommendations on how to proceed.

In brief: Generally not

Dr. Faisal Qureshi
Dr. Faisal Qureshi
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine