Can gastroschisis cause your kid to not have a belly button?

Dr. Janet Meller
Surgery - Pediatric

In brief: Sometimes

Depending on the surgical approach, patients may not have a normal appearing umbilicus.

In brief: Sometimes

Dr. Janet Meller
Dr. Janet Meller

In brief: That depends

I suppose most of us look to a belly button as part of a normal body image.
For the child who grows up after gastrschesis repair at birth, i expect he/she will have one of the few truely unique bellly buttons, either separate from or barried in a midline belly scar. I am sure a creative plastic surgeon could revise the area as the child grew older if it suited their needs.

In brief: That depends

Dr. Troy Reyna
Surgery - Pediatric

In brief: Possible

Depends upon the type of surgical repair. If the umbilical cord is preserved and incorporated into the repair then the child will most likely have a belly button.

In brief: Possible

Dr. Troy Reyna
Dr. Troy Reyna
Dr. Shontae Buffington