What happens to children who have BOOP (bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia)?

Variable outcome. Bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia (boop) is a rare condition in children. Limited data show most get better and some do not. It is an inflammation of the tiny airways of the lungs. Some causes include medications (chemotherapy), bone marrow transplant and other inflammatory diseases. Oral steroids are used for treatment. Your pulmonologist is best able to help with this problem.
This can be serious. Boop usually occurs after a severe lung injury and can lead to progressive difficulty breathing. Evaluation and treatment by a pulmonary physician is usually required.