Will I develop lung cancer if my grandparents smoked a lot and I spent a lot of time with them?

Dr. David Cooke
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: Not likely

If you are a non-smoker/never smoker (<100 cigarettes in a lifetime), and your second hand smoke exposure is low, then your risk compared to the general population should not be elevated.

In brief: Not likely

Dr. David Cooke
Dr. David Cooke
Dr. Jonathan Popler
Pediatrics - Pulmonology

In brief: No

Children exposed to second-hand or passive smoke have a higher incidence of otitis media (ear infections), respiratory tract infections, and wheezing.
No clear evidence suggests a higher risk of lung cancer.

In brief: No

Dr. Jonathan Popler
Dr. Jonathan Popler
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Not so fast!

Second hand smoke, even from gram and gramps, can increase your risk, but this is why smoking bans are in effect in most states, and smoking sections (restuarants and planes) are a thing of the past. You may not be able to get friends and family to quit, but you can limit your exposure.

In brief: Not so fast!

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology