Why would my allergist wants me to have the pneumonia shot usually given to children instead of the adult vaccine?

Dr. Lokesh Guglani
Pediatrics - Pulmonology
In brief: Immunity wanes
Over time, vaccine immunity wanes & in order to maintain adequate protection, repeat doses are necessary.
The pneumonia shot (aka pneumococcal vaccine) can help protect against several types of infections caused by the strep pneumoniae. Your allergist must have tested your pneumococcal antibody titers & if they're low, repeat dose will keep you protected.

In brief: Immunity wanes
Dr. Lokesh Guglani
Dr. Lokesh Guglani
In brief: Pneumovax23...
...Is the shot usually recommended for adult asthmatics, but it may be given to anyone over the age of 2, so in a way it, too, is a "kid shot.
".

In brief: Pneumovax23...
".
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. William Walsh
The new Prevnar 13 is a conjugate vaccine - and is more effective at promoting lasting immune memory than the polysaccharide Pneumovax. However, Prevnar 13 is not recommended for anyone older than 5; I would ask him or her why they wanted that shot for you.
Dr. Peter Kurzweil