Is there any association between children who are "late talkers" and children who become selectively mute later in life?

Dr. Mark Diamond
In brief: Not That I am Aware
Speech delay is related to immaturity of expressive language development and the part of the brain that controls that function.
Mutism behavior is unrelated as far as i know.

In brief: Not That I am Aware
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Glen Elliott
Selective mutism is a form of anxiety and is not a function of the ability to talk, just willingness to do so in specific settings.
Dr. Carla Enriquez
In brief: Probably not
Selective mutism is a subset of anxiety disorder.
Late talking can be caused by many things, including hearing loss, adhd, learning disabilities, language processing deficiencies, apraxia, cp. Check with your pediatrician for assessment and possible referral to early intervention with speech/language professional.

In brief: Probably not
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Dr. Cindy Juster