Is smoking marijuana associated with lung cancer in the same way as smoking cigarettes?

Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine
In brief: NO- not proven but..
Quoting the national institute of drug abuse: "studies have not found an increased risk of lung cancer in marijuana smokers, as compared with nonsmokers.
" this from an organization that would no doubt like to say it's bad for you! however, those who smoke marijuana & tobacco and very heavy marijuana users may be at risk. See
In brief: NO- not proven but..
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology
In brief: Not sure, but..
The tobacco company lawyers love this argument.
..Masters of misdirection. By inference, holding in smoke with tars and carcinogens likely are causative, but i'm not aware of an unequivocal study proving a causative link. There is no study that it is good for you nor does it prevent lung cancer. Finally, some people become psycholgically dependent. It stimulates appetite; quells nausea.

In brief: Not sure, but..
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Loki Skylizard
Surgery - Thoracic
In brief: Sort of
Best information to date is that marijuana is a carcinogen linked to developing lung cancer.
Recent studies have found links of lung cancer to smoking marijuana. Its impact is dependent on intensity of exposure and duration. Marijuana is also well known to be associated with other lung diseases as well. Is it equally harmful as cigarettes? There is no way to demonstrate that.

In brief: Sort of
Dr. Loki Skylizard
Dr. Loki Skylizard
Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice
In brief: Yes - No
The other doctors might be right ; myself wrong, but.
My memory is that a past study proclaimed advanced potential of cannabis to cause lung cancer. The medical researcher who wrote this study has, in recent years, recanted and himself repudiated the study! I have not yet heard of new data about this issue. According to one doctor some exists. Cannabis smokers should use vaporizers.

In brief: Yes - No
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. David Cooke
Surgery - Thoracic
In brief: Yes and no.
There is growing data that links heavy marijuana smoking to small cell lung cancer.
The risk of lung cancer is not believed to be as high as cigarette smoking.

In brief: Yes and no.
Dr. David Cooke
Dr. David Cooke
Dr. Vikram Patel