Is it true that people with tourette's can use swear words during their outbursts?

Dr. Glen Elliott
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Absolutely

The formal term is coprolalia.
It occurs in about 10% of people with tourette's disorder. Although dramatic in presentation, it is just one of the forms tics can take. The definition of tourette's is that the person has both motor and vocal tics, that is semi-involuntary bursts of activity. Many describe tics as sneeze-like: sometimes you can suppress them but often they just happen.

In brief: Absolutely

The formal term is coprolalia.
Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Jeff Jacobs
I've had several patients come to me by getting suspended from school for cursing at school. They were thought to be "conduct" or "behavior" problems. Turned out they had coprolalia associated with Tourette's disorder.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

While highly publicized, coprolalia (using swear words) occurs in about 15% of cases of tourettes, more commonly when there are comorbid (co-existing) conditions, and in about 8% of children with ts.

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke