Is it normal for when a child begins to take ADHD meds for him to have insomnia?

Yes, it's possible. . Some of the medicines used for adhd can cause side effects which may impact a child's sleep. Always review side effects and risks of new medications with your doctor and monitor your child for changes in behavior (and mood) with changes in and new starts of medication. Also, kids (and adults) with adhd often have difficulty winding down and getting to sleep as part of their adhd symptoms.
Yes. As my colleagues have reported, a potential side effects of all add meds is difficulty falling asleep. Melatonin is a safe med to try for help.
Adhd. Less likely with immediate release stimulants taken earlier, no later than 2 or 3 P.M. Last dose of the day.
Yes. Stimulant treatments for adhd are all based on amphetamine molecules. Amphetamines create increased alertness, decreased appetite, and (yes) insomnia.
Yes. Sleep disturbances are common in children with adhd, but stimulants could contribute to the problem.Avoid late afternoon doses or twicew a day dosage of long acting meds.Help your child settle into a healthy sleep routine ie avoid video games computers, tv, exciting activities before bedtime.Establish a consistent wake up time, and if your child is exhibiting severe problems consult your md.
ADHD meds. But here is one to consider. Most meds that are used now are long-acting (lasting 8 to 10 hours). So giving the medication consistently early in the day before the school bus arrives will prevent most insomnias. Likewise, if a short-acting dose has to be taken in the afternoon to help with homeowrk, time it so that the effect will not encroach into your child's bedtime.
Yes. But less likely to happen if he takes his medication early in the day.
Insomnia and ADHD. I believe insomnia is part of adhd. Unfortunately, many medications used to treat adhd contribute to insomnia - a double edge sword. Having lived with adhd my entire life, and watched all of my children suffer from insomnia, treating insomnia is central to relieving adhd. Whatever helps an individual sleeps, generally helps with adhd. See your child's pediatrician.
It's common. Insomnia from stimulant medications is one of the most common side effects. Different medications have various lengths of time of effectiveness. Doses often have to be fine tuned, and sometimes other meds need to be used in the evening, to provide what i call, a soft landing. In my practice, i often find the addition of 1 mg of Guanfacine at bedtime a huge help for insomnia from stimulants.
Common problem. Insomnia takes place in about 5-10% of children starting stimulant medication. After a few days it drops to about 5%. If it continues, ask your prescriber to consider an alternative medication.
In some cases. Remember, adhd kids (ak) have a high incidence of sleep disruption to begin with (they can't settle down, they're difficult to awaken). Stimulant medication may disrupt sleep, but this is dose related. Appropriate starting slow, with low increases of medication dose usually prevent serious sleep problems, & often help previously existent ones.
ADHD meds. Expected, especially if using slow-release forms of stimulants.