Is it bad to only give children ADHD meds during the school year and not during summer vacation?

Dr. Lisa Durette
Neurology
In brief: It is not optimal
Every day is a day for learning - be it academic learning in a classroom or social learning amongst peers and family members.
It is ideal to be as free from distraction and impulsivity as possible in all settings, every day.

In brief: It is not optimal
Dr. Lisa Durette
Dr. Lisa Durette
Dr. Kristi Kohl
In brief: Not if doing fine
Kids need different levels of attention for different things.
School, relationships with siblings and parents, and chores often need the most attention. Medication helps kids with adhd focus but may have side effects (weight loss, tics). If a child is functioning well in summer (getting along with siblings and parents, doing chores), there's probably no need for meds.

In brief: Not if doing fine
Dr. Kristi Kohl
Dr. Kristi Kohl
In brief: ADHD
If a child has the full spectrum adhd, ie.
..Inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsivity, and has developed secondary behaviour problems, ie..Oppositional/defiant, aggressive behaviour, then it is highly advisable to continue medication even during the summer months. Counseling would be an adjunct treatment in that situation.

In brief: ADHD
Dr. Alexander Villarasa
Dr. Alexander Villarasa
In brief: Depends on kid/tasks
I often medicate kids only on school days to minimize any long term med side effects.
When the weekend or summer activity requires a degree of vigilance, rx may be an important option & different form or dose worth while.Some kids thrive with this approach & some are tolerable only with daily/365 rx.It is important for family & dr to realize & modify rx to accomidate different needs based on the kid.

In brief: Depends on kid/tasks
Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: It's not bad
In my experience working with over 18, 000 kids, I have found that often times, children who benefit from stimulant medication in school, also have other benefits from the stimulants in other major life areas.
In my practice, and unless contraindicated, i generally have my adhd patients take their medications year round, good question.

In brief: It's not bad
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Andres R Villar
In brief: Depends
When symptoms of adhd and the disruptions the disease can create in a child/family everyday life are severe, then medicine should be given daily.
Negative feedback could be more devastating than the side effects of the meds.When enhanced parenting skills, behavioral intervention has been implemented an it is working or adhd symptoms are mild;do not give the meds...Every situation is different.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Andres R Villar
Dr. Andres R Villar
Dr. Eric Weisman