Is clonidine good medication to treat tics and adhd?

Dr. Mark Diamond
In brief: For Tics Primarily
Clonidine is , in fact , a proven agent to control tics.
Side effect potential needs to be monitered.It is the the best mediaction to control symptoms of add/adhd however. And it should be a last resort.

In brief: For Tics Primarily
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mary Ann Block
General Practice
In brief: No
Until recently, Clonidine was indicated only for adult high blood pressure.
It was used "off label" for years for adhd. Now it is approved for that purpose. But it is still a blood pressure medication so it can lower the blood pressure and has many potential cardiac side effects. I think it is better to find the cause and fix a medical problem rather than to just prescribe drugs for symptoms.

In brief: No
Dr. Mary Ann Block
Dr. Mary Ann Block
2 comments
Dr. Carla Enriquez
clonidine & guanfacine are clearly indicated in the treatment of tics in ADHD pts & in Tourette's
Dr. Carla Enriquez
Delineating the diagnosis of ADHD is exactly what an appropriate evaluation does.
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology