If I had post-partum depression after giving birth to my son, does this mean that my son will have depression when he grows up?

In brief: No
Depression has a genetic component, that's true.
But, post-partum depression is a particular, situation-specific, concern. While your son may be predisposed to depression due to your genes, in this case the environment, and personality, are much much more important.

In brief: No
Dr. Bartholomew Vereb
Dr. Bartholomew Vereb
Dr. Donald Hazlett
In brief: There is risk, yes.
Studies of post- partum depression (PPD) effects on infants of PPD mothers found poor social engagement, increased fear responses & significant infant anxiety.
Treatment helps, and should continue even if breast feeding. It's safe and helps fend off later problems of cognitive, attachment and socialization issues that have been implicated in these children having higher rates of depression later.

In brief: There is risk, yes.
Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Donald Hazlett
Dr. Donald Hazlett
I would add that by" safe", I mean only medication judged by the obstetrician to be safe and not passed in quantities large enough to the breast milk to be of any consequence.
Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: Not necessarily
The important thing is to be able to attach and bond to your new born in as normal a fashion as possible in order to prevent future problems with your child.

In brief: Not necessarily
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Adam Levy