If I am anorexic, am I healthy enough to be pregnant?

Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: It Depends

It depends on how much under normal body weight one is at the time the pregnancy commences as well one's diet throughout the pregnancy.
Anorexia, by itself means low appetite or no appetite. Anorexia nervosa is a serious eating disorder which can be fatal if untreated. It occurs to me that one should want to be doing as well as possible including being optimally healthy before pregnancy.

In brief: It Depends

Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Christopher Powers

In brief: Don't know

Only your doctor can answer that.
Don't need to tell you that anorexia takes a serious toll on your body. Pregnancy does as well. The two together are at the very least not good. Moreover, you may be like most anorexics who have stopped having periods. If so, you have the added hurdle of overcoming anovulation (failure to ovulate) before you can even get pregnant.

In brief: Don't know

Only your doctor can answer that.
Dr. Christopher Powers
Dr. Christopher Powers