If a mom has bipolar disorder and a dad has depression, what are the chances the child will have either problem when he grows up?

Hard to say. The genetic component increases the child's chances. But, the environment, and personality also play a very large role.
Depression. With any major mental disorder, having a first degree relative who is afflicted increases the likelihood that children may have some form of the disease, although it certainly is not inevitable.
The stats. From the literature: 35% chance if one parent has it. 75% if both parents have it. These are the probabilities. Literature says depression & anxiety push the odds slightly more. Keep in mind that a more stressful environment will play a major role in pushing these probabilities forward. A more stable environment is always protective against gene expression of any genetic vulnerability. take care.