How often do you have epilepsy at the same time as mental retardation?

Dr. William Holmes
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: It is not unusual

I do not have the statistics at my fingertips, but there is an increased risk of seizures among people with mental retardation, compared to the general population.

In brief: It is not unusual

Dr. William Holmes
Dr. William Holmes
Dr. Glen Elliott
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Common cause

You can think of mr as coming from a brain that isn't "put together right, " so it shouldn't be too surprising that that brain might also be more a risk for having seizures.

In brief: Common cause

Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: 2010 study

In a recent prospective study in epilepsia, 51(12) by sogawa and masur, 74% of children with epilepsy had average overall cognitive function ( iq); 24% had lower cognitive function.

In brief: 2010 study

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Eric Weisman