Do schools regularly screen for ADHD or is this something that the teachers do on a case-by-case basis?

Dr. Glen Elliott
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: Varies a lot
Some states specifically forbid teachers to consider adhd as a diagnosis.
Some teachers "don't believe in adhd"--but may be quite ready to blame parents for not being "strict enough" with their unruly child. On the other hand, many teachers have lots of experience with lots of different chidlren and are superb at picking out kids who "could use an evaluation.

In brief: Varies a lot
Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Alfredo Soto
In brief: Case by case
Teachers are not allowed to screen for medical illnesses.
However, they may see a child that has particular difficulties in class and advise the parents to seek professional help.

In brief: Case by case
Dr. Alfredo Soto
Dr. Alfredo Soto
Dr. William Holmes
Pediatrics - Psychiatry
In brief: No General Screen
In my experience school districts do not perform any type of general screening fir adhd.
The question of adhd is something that arises on a case by case basis.

In brief: No General Screen
Dr. William Holmes
Dr. William Holmes
Dr. Sahba Ferdowsi
area dependent. great answer. thank you
In brief: Great screeners
I believe in my state the school district is required to pay for complete testing if a teacher ever suggests add or adhd to a parent.
Most nudge parents in that direction without saying it.Physicians, teachers, psychologists, psychiatrists and neurologists may all have some role in a specific case.If concerned start with your dr to see what local resources you have available.Its not an all or none dx.

In brief: Great screeners
Dr. Eric Weisman