Can people with asperger's syndrome have selective mutism?

Dr. Glen Elliott
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

It can be difficult to disentangle at times, but individuals with asperger's syndrome can also be quite anxious and one symtom of that may be selective mutism, where they speak only in the presence of certain individuals and specific "comfort zones.
" in my experience, it is not a common combination, and it is more usual that they are shy and anxious, rather than completely mute.

Dr. Glen Elliott
Dr. Glen Elliott

In brief: Why not.

All of these "problems" exist on a spectrum. You can have asperger's, but be just as functional -- and able to choose your own particular form of "resistance" (i.
e.: "mutism") -- as your non-asperger's friend.

In brief: Why not.

Dr. Bartholomew Vereb
Dr. Bartholomew Vereb
Dr. Glen Elliott
I have worked with several children who have both Asperger's Disorder and selective mutism, but in some ways it it not as common as one might think it could be.