3 doctors weighed in:
My husband and I are both carriers of sickle cell anemia. What are our chances of our children exhibiting this disease?
3 doctors weighed in

Dr. Scott Adams
Pediatrics - Hematology & Oncology
1 doctor agrees
In brief: 25%
If both of you have sickle cell trait then each of you has one normal beta hemoglobin gene (a) and one with the sickle cell mutation (s).
Your children will inherit one beta globin gene from each of you for a total of two. Therefore for each child that you have, there is a 25% chance of sickle cell disease (ss), a 50% chance sickle cell trait (as), and 25% chance of normal hemoglobin (aa).

In brief: 25%
If both of you have sickle cell trait then each of you has one normal beta hemoglobin gene (a) and one with the sickle cell mutation (s).
Your children will inherit one beta globin gene from each of you for a total of two. Therefore for each child that you have, there is a 25% chance of sickle cell disease (ss), a 50% chance sickle cell trait (as), and 25% chance of normal hemoglobin (aa).
Dr. Scott Adams
Dr. Scott Adams
Thank
Dr. James Ferguson
Pediatrics
In brief: Depends on genes
Two carrier parents have a 1/4 risk with each pregnancy of having a baby with a full blown sickle cell disorder. They have a 1/2 risk with each pregnancy of passing the carrier state, & a 1/4 chance that the baby would have neither. Many states test for sickle cell in their newborn screening programs so these kids can be identified early& precautions taken.

In brief: Depends on genes
Two carrier parents have a 1/4 risk with each pregnancy of having a baby with a full blown sickle cell disorder. They have a 1/2 risk with each pregnancy of passing the carrier state, & a 1/4 chance that the baby would have neither. Many states test for sickle cell in their newborn screening programs so these kids can be identified early& precautions taken.
Dr. James Ferguson
Dr. James Ferguson
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Marsha Davis
Board Certified, Internal Medicine
24 years in practice
67M people helped
Continue
107,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors