I was wondering how I could have a sickle cell crisis without having the disease?

Dr. Lisa Roberts

In brief: Not typically

If you have the sickle cell trait, it is possible to have an anemic crisis in the setting of severe dehydration or stress to the immune system, though this is rare.
In most cases, individuals with the sickle cell trait live perfectly healthy lives. Remaining hydrated especially in the setting of physical activity and excessive heat should help to prevent any symptoms.

In brief: Not typically

Dr. Lisa Roberts
Dr. Lisa Roberts
Dr. Andrew Walter
Pediatrics - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: You can't

Remember that there are several types of sickle cell disease, ss, sc, sthal, many different names.
However, all are sickle syndromes associated with painful crisis. You have to have one of these to have a painful crisis.

In brief: You can't

Dr. Andrew Walter
Dr. Andrew Walter
Dr. Vikram Patel